Man faces attempted murder charge

December 10, 2004|by CANDICE BOSELY

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A Martinsburg man whom police allege tried to strangle his wife with an extension cord, threatened to stab her and told her she would leave the house only in a body bag was charged with attempted murder, court records state.

Michael Bosworth Yurish, 48, who listed Martinsburg addresses of 92 Hedrick Ave. and 636 Winchester Ave., was arraigned on the felony charge Thursday.

West Virginia State Police Cpl. R.T. Dyroff said in court records that Yurish's wife, Joy Yurish, filed for divorce about two weeks earlier but delayed telling her husband because she was afraid of his response.


After she told him on Nov. 14, Yurish said he would leave their home, but when Joy Yurish came home she saw a shadow inside and spent the night at her daughter's house, records state.

Yurish called several times during the night and accused his wife of being unfaithful, records state. He showed up at the house at about 3:30 a.m. and demanded to be let inside, records state.

The following day, Joy Yurish came home and thought the house was empty, but then spotted her husband hiding under their dining room table, records state.

They talked that night and then fell asleep on separate pieces of living room furniture, records state.

On Nov. 17, Joy Yurish returned home from work to find her husband in the house. When she walked into the bathroom, he grabbed her, forced her into their bedroom and threw her onto their bed, police allege. He then sat on her chest and later asked, "I'm going to ask you one more time, are you going to get a divorce?" records state.

When Yurish's wife said, "Yes," he picked up an extension cord and said, "Now you're gonna die," records state.

At that time, Yurish, who was still on top of his wife, pulled the cord tight around her neck, according to records. She was able to get her fingers between the cord and her neck and kicked at him, making it to the bottom of the bed, records state.

There, Yurish punched her and said he planned to knock her out and then choke her, police alleged in court records.

Joy Yurish bit her husband's leg and asked that she be allowed to get a drink of water. Yurish allowed his wife to go to the kitchen, but told her not to try to use the phone or try to escape, police allege.

"He said I would be going out of the house in a body bag," Joy Yurish told police, according to court records.

When Joy Yurish began looking around the kitchen for a weapon, Michael Yurish said, "Don't even grab those knives 'cause I'll stab you 50 more times than you'll stab me," records allege.

He also said, "You'll be dead by daybreak," records allege.

After Joy Yurish said she wanted to work things out and that she would not tell anyone about the attack, Michael Yurish put the extension cord down, police said.

Yurish later fell asleep and, after waking, agreed to let his wife retrieve her paycheck, records state.

"He let me leave and I haven't been back," Joy Yurish told police, according to court records.

Dyroff noticed a red mark on the right side of Joy Yurish's neck, a bruise on her right ear and jaw and a swollen area near her left eye, records state.

Conviction on a charge of attempted murder carries a sentence of one to five years in prison.

Yurish was being held Thursday night in Eastern Regional Jail on a $50,000 cash-only bail.

The Herald-Mail Articles