W.Va. man charged in club stabbing

December 08, 2004|by CANDICE BOSELY

BUNKER HILL, W.Va. - A Bunker Hill man was charged in connection with a Monday night stabbing at Legz Platinum, and the victim and the man charged have told police different stories about what happened, according to court records.

Johnathan Paul Anderson, 32, of 10 Triton Lane, was charged with one felony count of malicious wounding.

The victim, a bouncer at the adult entertainment club, was listed in satisfactory condition Tuesday night at City Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Berkeley County Sheriff's Department Deputy Jarrett Jones, the investigating officer, was called to Legz Platinum at 9:31 p.m. for a report of a stabbing, court records state.


According to court records, a red Isuzu Trooper was pulling out of the club's parking lot when Jones arrived. After Jones stopped the car, Anderson got out but kept "playing with something at the driver's seat while he was standing there," records state.

The driver then dropped the object, records state. Jones later found a black, rubber-handled Gerber knife under the Isuzu, records state.

After Anderson was placed in the back seat of Jones' cruiser, Jones spoke to several people inside the club, including a bartender and the victim, Donald James Moyer Jr., police said.

Moyer told police that Anderson and another man were causing a disturbance inside the club. After Moyer asked them to leave, "the guy that was running his mouth hit him with something in the chest ... but it didn't hurt at the time. The bouncer stated that he pushed the subject out the door," records state.

A bartender told police that Anderson and another man who had been "acting up" at the bar got into a shoving match with the bouncer at the club's door, records state.

The bartender said she saw Anderson pull something from his back pocket and stab the bouncer, records allege.

After the stabbing, "several regulars from the club then jumped up and helped get the two subjects out the door the rest of the way," the bartender told police, according to court records.

When Anderson told police his version of what happened, he said that when he and his friend were kicked out of the club the bouncer and three men who do not work at the club attacked him, records state.

"The suspect stated that he was held at gunpoint and beaten by all four of the subjects and that his friend was pistol-whipped," records state. "The suspect stated that it was self-defense and that he thought he was going to die so he did what he had to do to survive."

Although Jones found an empty pistol case in the car of one of the men Anderson claimed attacked him, no guns were found, police said.

Anderson's friend, who was not charged, was taken to City Hospital for treatment of a head injury, police said.

Anderson was being held Tuesday night in Eastern Regional Jail on $20,000 bail.

Conviction on a charge of malicious wounding carries a sentence of two to 10 years in prison.

The Herald-Mail Articles