Advertisement

Celebrity news

December 02, 2004

Female could rule if Japan law changed


TOKYO (AP) - Princess Aiko, the only child of Japan's imperial heir, marked her third birthday Wednesday amid speculation about legal changes that would allow her to one day ascend the ancient Chrysanthemum Throne.

Current laws prohibit women from inheriting the throne, but the Japanese imperial family is facing its most serious succession crisis in centuries. Public support is strong for a revision that would allow Aiko, the only child of Crown Prince Naruhito, to reign.

Aiko, meanwhile, greeted her birthday much like a regular 3-year-old.

A birthday celebration was planned for the little princess, who loves to climb trees, the Imperial Household Agency announced.

She can now brush her own teeth and change clothes by herself. She also enjoys origami, singing and play sessions with other children at the palace, the agency said.

A Mainichi Shimbun newspaper report said Wednesday that the government has begun studying the feasibility of amending the Imperial Household Law within the next several years. The report did not cite sources.

Advertisement



Police looking at Knight in attack


LOS ANGELES (AP) - Police and probation officials have been reviewing video of the melee at the Vibe Awards show to determine if Marion "Suge" Knight played a role in the altercation.

The rap producer has denied any involvement in the incident in which a man struck Dr. Dre twice, sparking a brawl in which the attacker was stabbed and seriously injured.

Dre, who real name is Andre Young, met with authorities Monday at the Santa Monica police station and demanded that his attacker, Jimmy "James" Johnson, be charged with assault and battery.

Videotape shows Johnson punching Dre on Nov. 16 at the second annual awards show. Johnson was then stabbed, allegedly by Young Buck, a rapper who is a protege of Dr. Dre.

Young Buck, whose real name is David Darnell Brown, surrendered Nov. 19 to authorities and is scheduled to be arraigned Dec. 20.




Sisters eliminated from 'Amazing Race'


NEW YORK (AP) - The sister team on CBS' "The Amazing Race" failed to find a clue in a haystack, eliminating them from the race around the world.

Kristy Jensen, 26, and Lena Jensen, 23, were the third of nine remaining teams to arrive at a challenge at a rural Swedish farm, where team members were assigned to find a clue by unraveling a series of 200-pound hay bales. After an eight-hour search, Lena never gave up - or found the clue.

"I just felt like I didn't have any option to quit," Lena told The Associated Press Wednesday. "I knew how much Kristy sacrificed to do the 'Amazing Race.' I think I mentally checked out about an hour into it."

"It was heart-wrenching seeing all the other teams we passed then seeing them pass us," said Kristy.

Breaking protocol, "Amazing Race" host Phil Keoghan went to the challenge site to inform the Utah sisters they had been eliminated from the race. Usually, contestants rush to meet Keoghan at his "Amazing Race" mat at a predetermined pit stop.

"It was very dramatic to see Phil," said Kristy, who was at the farm until after dusk. "We didn't see him coming in. Ultimately, we just wanted to find that stupid clue."




Prince Charles honors cereal


LONDON (AP) - Prince Charles reminisced about his cereal-eating childhood as he presented a royal award to the makers of Weetabix.

"I was virtually brought up on Weetabix - and look at the result," the prince told an audience at the company's factory in Burton Latimer, north of London, on Tuesday.

Weetabix, a wheat biscuit that turns soggy when milk is added, has long been the best-selling cereal in Britain.

Charles was on hand to present Weetabix with the Queen's Award for Enterprise.

Britain's biggest cereal company, which already holds three Royal Warrants and three Queen's Awards for Export, received its latest honor for a 45 percent rise in exports in the past six years.

The Burton Latimer site produces more than 65 million wheat biscuits a week for distribution to 80 countries worldwide.




Lucas donates money to university


LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) - "Star Wars" creator George Lucas donated $100,000 to California State University, Long Beach, for film department scholarships and equipment.

Lucas donated the money at the request of the Department of Film and Electronic Arts. Although Lucas attended the University of Southern California, director Steven Spielberg, his close friend, went to Cal State Long Beach.

The university needed the money to fix or repair equipment damaged by an October storm. A satellite dish on the department's building fell through the roof during the storm, allowing water to seep into the building.

The department may not have been able to restore damaged cameras, projectors and videotape machines without the Lucas donation, department chair Craig Smith said recently.

The university's two-year undergraduate film program is popular among aspiring filmmakers. Alumni include John Dykstra, who won an Oscar for visual effects for "Star Wars"; David Twohy, who wrote and directed "Pitch Black" and "The Chronicles of Riddick"; and Mark Steven Johnson, writer and director of "Daredevil."

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|