Advertisement

Group tries to save farm from developer

November 21, 2004|by CANDICE BOSELY

martinsburg@herald-mail.com

SHEPHERDSTOWN, W.VA. - Untrue to its name, Faraway Farm is proving to be the source of a struggle close to many people's hearts.

A plan to build more than 150 houses on land now used to grow hay - and that once was the site of a post-Antietam Civil War battle - has caused the formation of a group of about 60 members opposed to the subdivision.

Ideally, members of the group will be able to save the land from ever being developed. Pragmatically, they hope to keep any development on the land within reason.

Advertisement

Unlike soldiers in 1862 battling artillery, the new fighters have found themselves entrenched in tedious county rules and regulations.

"(The developer) can still make money and not be as blatant and destroy what remains of this community," said Edward E. Dunleavy, president of Citizens United to Save Faraway Farm. "It's safe to say that our organization is not against development, but we want the rural zoning regulations enforced."

The Battle of Shepherdstown


Lodged in an exterior wall on the second floor of the property's brick farmhouse is a black cannon ball. Although the original cannon ball was lost ("Stolen," amended Edward Moore, another person trying to save the farm), a replacement was added during later renovations, Dunleavy said.

According to records on the National Park Service's Web site, the Battle of Shepherdstown took place on Sept. 19 and 20, 1862, on acreage to the west side of what is now Trough Road, including Faraway Farm, which is east of Shepherdstown.

After the Battle of Antietam, Gen. Robert E. Lee began to pull his Army of Northern Virginia back across the Potomac River, crossing at Pack Horse Ford.

Union soldiers arrived on the Maryland side of the river the following morning and began to shoot at southern troops across the water.

"Some Union artillery shells crashed into Shepherdstown itself, causing confusion and chaos among the townspeople and wounded rebels left there," according to National Park Service documents.

As Union fire increased and the Confederate soldiers began to run low on ammunition, an order was given for southern troops to retreat once darkness fell.

Just before dark, an attacking Union group of around 500 soldiers waded across the river, forcing southern troops back and capturing a few cannons.

Believing that the entire reserve artillery had been captured, Lee and Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson ordered A.P. Hill's and Jubal Early's divisions to stop their withdrawal, turn and force the Union troops back across the river into Maryland.

The battle began in earnest.

"As the Confederates reacted to the assumed crisis, Union commanders were planning a follow-up to their raid. Three brigades from the 5th Corps crossed the Potomac at 7 a.m. and proceeded toward Shepherdstown and down the Charlestown Road," a National Park Service article states. Trough Road is the road referenced.

Advancing soldiers with A.P. Hill's division clashed with the Northern troops, forcing many of them back toward the river.

Col. Charles M. Prevost, with an infantry regiment from Pennsylvania - the 118th, also known as the Corn Exchange Regiment - refused to withdraw, however, until he received orders from his direct superior.

"This was the (118th's) first battle, the first opportunity many of them had to discover their issued Enfield rifles were defective and would not fire. Colonel Prevost was wounded trying to steady his men, other officers led a bayonet charge which was smashed, and the regiment broke apart," according to the National Park Service. "Some tried to escape by climbing down the bluffs under Confederate fire, and many died as they fell to the rocks below. Others picked their way past the old cement mill, ran across the slippery dam, or waded across at the ford. Of the 700 men in the 118th who crossed the river that morning, only 431 came back across."

Believing the Confederate army still "had plenty of fight left in it," Union Gen. George McClellan decided to delay any further effort to pursue the southerners.

In a letter written on Feb. 25, 1863, Hill wrote that "... a daring charge was made, and the enemy driven pell-mell into the river. Then commenced the most terrible slaughter that this war has yet witnessed. The broad surface of the Potomac was blue with the floating bodies of our foe. But few escaped to tell the tale."

The battle, which left more than 600 soldiers killed or wounded, marked the end of Lee's first invasion of the North.

The administrative battleground


Dunleavy, 60, moved to Jefferson County 17 months ago after retiring from the investment banking field in Manhattan. Rather than trying to rely only on the fact that Faraway Farm once was the site of a battle, Dunleavy has dug deep into Jefferson County laws.

He's paid for copies of county ordinances, sat in on county meetings and compiled a thick packet of information.

His group, Citizens United to Save Faraway Farm (CUSFF), has hired an attorney.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|