Woman had sought court protection

Barr charged with killing W.Va. man, wounding former girlfriend

Barr charged with killing W.Va. man, wounding former girlfriend

November 17, 2004|by PEPPER BALLARD

HAGERSTOWN - A month before she was shot, Cathy Louise Myers sought a protective order and charged her former boyfriend, Steven Linn Barr, with second-degree assault and false imprisonment, saying he had threatened to kill her and her two daughters, according to court records.

Now Barr, 41, of 808 Hamilton Blvd. in Hagerstown, has been charged with the Monday morning attempted murder of Myers, 44, and with the murder of her boyfriend, William Keith Grant, 46.

Myers, who was listed in critical condition Tuesday at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, was found Monday at about 3:40 a.m. lying on the yard outside her 12057 Kemps Mill Road home, the victim of at least one gunshot wound. Grant, her boyfriend of two months, was found shot to death inside the Williamsport-area home.


Myers' daughters, ages 12 and 17, were inside the house, heard the shots and ran to a neighbor's house to call police, Washington County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Mark Knight said.

Knight said that Barr, who was extradited Tuesday afternoon from Cumberland County, Pa., has been charged with first- and second-degree murder, attempted first- and second-degree murder, two counts of first-degree assault, two counts of second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, first-degree burglary, third-degree burglary, fourth-degree burglary, use of a handgun in commission of a felony, carrying a handgun on person and illegal possession of a regulated firearm in connection with the shootings.

Knight alleged that Barr broke into Myers' home but did not steal anything. He said that Barr brought the handgun used to shoot Grant and Myers with him to the house.

Barr parked on a nearby street, entered the home and shot Grant several times in the upper body and Myers at least once in the upper body, Sheriff Charles Mades alleged Monday. Barr then made cellular phone calls to people "as soon as he committed this act" and told them he was headed to Pennsylvania, Mades said Monday.

Barr, who was wanted on a temporary warrant in the double shooting, surrendered to police about 16 hours later, at about 7:40 p.m., in Silver Spring Township, Pa., near Harrisburg, according to the Silver Spring Township Police Department.

Barr was free on $3,000 bond at the time of the shooting, according to court records, which show Barr posted 10 percent of the bond Oct. 26, a day before he was scheduled for a bond review hearing in Washington County District Court on charges of second-degree assault and false imprisonment - charges Myers filed Oct. 14.

In Myers' complaint, she said that she broke up with Barr on Oct. 11, about five months after they began dating. Three days later, Barr demanded she come to her house or she "may regret it," according to court documents.

"He said he could not go on living without me. He asked me if I valued my life and my childrens' lives," she said in court documents. "Steve said his plans were to put a bullet through my head, my daughters' heads and then kill himself."

She alleged in the charging documents that Barr threatened the action if Myers would not agree to "see him and (spend) time with him over the holidays."

"I feel that I would not of made it out of his house tonight," Myers said in the charging document.

Capt. Doug Mullendore said Tuesday that a final peace order requested by Myers was issued against Barr on Oct. 22 by District Judge Ralph H. France II. He said that the conditions of the peace order prohibited Barr from contacting Myers and from going to her home. His bond release was set with those conditions, according to court documents.

Grant's sister, Debbie Bond, said Tuesday that Myers and Grant were in a relationship for about the past two months and seemed "really happy."

She said she had not been aware of any problems from Myers' ex-boyfriend.

Bond said that on Sunday, Grant, whom she called Billy, and Myers visited her and picked up tickets for a bus trip they planned to make to New York City around Christmas.

Bond, 48, who had been making funeral arrangements Tuesday, said Grant, "was a person that was full of life from the moment he got up in the morning."

She said he was the sole proprietor of Affordable Homes Inc., a company based out of his Falling Waters, W.Va., home. She said his company was responsible for building at least four developments in the Falling Waters area, including Whispering Falls.

Her husband, Earl Bond, said Grant "was a go-getter, real driven, a real high achiever. He touched a lot of lives in this area."

Debbie Bond said that Grant, a 1976 graduate of Hedgesville High School, built a baseball field behind his house, which the Hedgesville Little League used for practice.

He loved baseball and boating on the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay, she said.

Debbie Bond said that Grant also had a younger brother, Danny Grant, 39, and two children, Megan, 17, and Chad, 19. "He was so proud of those children," she said.

She said that Grant had been married for about 20 years, but divorced about two years ago.

During his arraignment Tuesday, Barr, who was wearing a long-sleeved shirt and appeared to have several days of facial hair growth, was calm and lucid. He continually tapped his fingers against his handcuffs while awaiting Washington County District Court Commissioner Timothy Haven's next instructions.

Haven ordered Barr, who requested a preliminary hearing, to be held without bond. His bail review hearing is scheduled for today at 12:45 p.m.

Barr was employed as a truck driver with Sealy Mattress Co., an employee there said Tuesday.

Staff writer Brian Shappell contributed to this story.

The Herald-Mail Articles