Warriors' boys, Wildcats' girls reach 1A West playoffs

November 06, 2004|by RYAN ALLEN/Staff Writer

BOONSBORO - In 160 minutes of soccer Friday night, four teams scored a total of two goals in Class 1A West semifinal action at Boonsboro.

In the boys game, Boonsboro defeated Northern Garrett, 1-0, while in the girls game, Williamsport beat Boonsboro by the same score.

n In the boys game, Rick Tonetti scored on a header with four minutes remaining in the game to propel the Warriors to the 1A West final.

Northern Garrett goalkeeper Chris Fickers made 11 saves - several of them brilliant - but was unable to stop Boonsboro's 12th and final shot.


Tyler McKenrick dribbled the ball down the left sideline and past Fickers, and centered the ball across the box to Tonetti, who headed it into the open net.

"I was just happy to finally see one go through the net," said Boonsboro coach Brad Distad.

The Huskies opened the game on the attack and had most of their best chances to score in the first 20 minutes of play. Their best chance came in the 29th minute, when Derek Cutter hit the left goalpost.

Cutter and Scott Pusuteri both had multiple chances from inside the box, but neither could get the ball past Boonsboro goalkeeper Evan Lowery, who made six saves for the shutout.

After an opening flurry by the Huskies, Boonsboro assumed control of the game late in the first half and maintained it throughout the second half. Much of the game's final 50 minutes was played in Northern Garrett's half of the field, as the Warriors appeared fresher later in the game.

"Our stamina is one of our strengths," said Distad. "It helps us late in games because we still have energy and depth at that point in the game.

Distad cited the Warriors' 4-0 overtime record over the last two years as evidence of his team's late-game stamina.

Fickers kept the game scoreless with a diving stop on a Nick Stenerson shot and a block of Adam Dellinger's point-blank attempt before Tonetti finally put one into the Northern Garrett net.

The Huskies were rarely able to control the ball in Boonsboro territory in the second half, as Boonsboro's defenders quickly advanced the ball after every surge by the Huskies.

"Sweeper Scott Hart in particular closed everything down," said Distad.

Boonsboro will play at top-seeded Beall Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the final.

n The girls game was also decided by a header late in the game, as Sarah Tritsch broke a scoreless tie with 10 minutes remaining to give Williamsport a birth in the final.

After a corner kick, Adria Moyer kicked the ball to Julie Hancock, who headed it to Tritsch, who headed the ball past Boonsboro goalkeeper Haley Burtner.

"Any time that ball's bouncing around in the box like that, you never know what will happen," said Boonsboro coach John Burtner.

The Warriors registered 10 shots on goal to the Wilcats' four, but Williamsport goalkeeper Catie Vancour stopped each one.

Her best saves were a diving stop of a Danyelle Fulks shot six minutes into the game and save off a scramble in front of the net following a corner-kick midway through the second half.

Williamsport's offense picked up in the final 20 minutes, as the Wildcats began sustaining their attack, culminating in Tritsch's goal.

"They came reved up to play," said Burtner. "I don't think they're a better team than us but they were maybe better mentally prepared for the game."

Williamsport will travel to Smithsburg for the final Tuesday at 7 p.m.

"We're just starting to gel and we seem to be peaking," Williamsport coach J.R. Mellott siad. "These kids worked so hard and really stepped it up tonight. They're playing like every game could be their last, which it could."

The Herald-Mail Articles