YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsWva

Police briefs

November 05, 2004

Man charged with armed robbery

A Washington County man was charged in connection with an armed robbery at a liquor store on Halloween, the Washington County Sheriff's Department said.

Dane J. Schaff, 39, of 10903 Knotty Pine Drive, near Hagerstown, is charged with armed robbery, robbery, theft less than $500, second-degree assault and possession of a concealed weapon, according to deputies.

Schaff is charged with robbing Oak Ridge Liquors at 18208 W. Oak Ridge Drive on Oct. 31.

Softball president charged with theft

MARTINSBURG, W.VA. - The president of the Martinsburg-Berkeley County (W.Va.) Girls' Softball League has been charged in connection with missing league funds, according to the Berkeley County Sheriff's Department.

Deputies said Rickie G. Tobin, 53, of 914 Hillcrest Drive in Martinsburg, W.Va., was charged with felony embezzlement Thursday.

Deputies allege Tobin took money from the league. The theft of funds was under investigation for about four months.

Tobin was arraigned Thursday before Berkeley County Magistrate Kristy Greer.


Tobin posted bond, which was set at $5,000.

Sheriff's deputies respond to calls

The Washington County Sheriff's Department responded to the following calls on Wednesday, said Sgt. Mark Knight:

· At 4 p.m., there was a report of domestic violence in the 12000 block of Hippan Hill Road.

· At 6 p.m., a gold 2004 Dodge Stratus was reported stolen from the 100 block of Orchard Manor Drive in Boonsboro.

Power goes out in Williamsport area

About 1,000 Allegheny Energy customers in the Williamsport area Thursday morning were without power after a squirrel meddled with some of the company's equipment, said Guy Fletcher, spokesperson for Allegheny Energy.

"A squirrel got into some of our equipment in a substation in Williamsport," he said. Fletcher said that the Williamsport area, including the school complex, was affected by the outage.

Fletcher said that power was expected to be restored to all customers by about 11:30 a.m.

Williamsport High School Principal John Davidson said that the school was without power for about an hour. Davidson said that power came on at the school at about 8:50 a.m.

The Herald-Mail Articles