Waynesboro rallies to beat Scotland

October 30, 2004|by RYAN ALLEN/Staff Writer

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - Waynesboro scored 20 straight points to overcome a 16-point deficit and six lost fumbles Friday for a 20-16 victory over winless Mid-Penn Conference foe Scotland.

The Indians (2-7, 2-4) fumbled on five consecutive possessions in the first half. The Cadets (0-8, 0-5) capitalized on the final two.

Early in the second quarter, Gregg Robinson returned a botched pitch between Waynesboro quarterback Cory Livengood and running back Michael McKenzie 5 yards for the game's first score.

After McKenzie fumbled on the next drive, Aswad Hopewell connected with Jamal Ruffin on a 33-yard pass down the right sideline for a touchdown. The Cadets converted two-point conversions on both scores to take a 16-0 lead.


"We have to do a better job of holding onto the ball," said Livengood.

Late in the half, Livengood got the Indians back into the game, throwing a 14-yard touchdown pass to Sean Brodersen in the back of the end zone on a fourth-down play to cut the Scotland lead to 10.

The momentum carried into the third quarter, as the Indians drove 55 yards on their first possession of the half, cutting the lead to 16-14 when McKenzie took an option pitch into the left side of the end zone from 7 yards out.

"After that score, I thought the game was ours to win and I told the team that we were going to go right back down and score again," Waynesboro coach Darwin Seiler said.

With 7:07 left to play, Waynesboro started a drive at the Scotland 34 and marched downfield for the decisive score, a 1-yard quarterback sneak by Livengood with 4:35 remaining.

The key play on the drive was a 19-yard run off left tackle by Livengood that put the ball at the 1.

"I saw a seam open up and I cut back underneath the defense," Livengood said.

The Cadets weren't a factor in the second half as they failed to cross midfield or gain a first down after the break.

"Our defense was just outstanding," said Seiler. "We held them to negative rushing yards in the second half and shut down their passing game."

Livengood sealed the game with an interception on Scotland's final drive.

"We failed to match their intensity in the first half," Livengood said. "We came back strong but we have to learn to play two halves of football."

The Herald-Mail Articles