YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsMctc

Police briefs

October 16, 2004

Inmate gets hand caught in cell door

A Maryland Correctional Training Center inmate was treated at Washington County Hospital and released back to MCTC after his hand was caught in a cell door on Thursday night, a Maryland Division of Correction spokeswoman said Friday.

The Washington County 911 dispatch center got a call at 7:05 p.m. on Thursday for an amputated fingertip at MCTC, a 911 dispatcher said Friday.

Capt. Priscilla Doggett with the Division of Correction said she would not say whether the inmate suffered an amputation because she cannot release medical information. She would not release the inmate's name.

Doggett said a review of the incident will be conducted as a matter of procedure.

Police seek man in October incident

Washington County Sheriff's deputies are on the lookout for a man believed to have been behind the wheel in a property damage accident Oct. 6 on U.S. 11 at the Northhaven Trailer Park north of Hagerstown.


The victim, William Walter Rinn III, 72, of Hagerstown, told deputies his vehicle was hit at 2:50 p.m. by a black pickup truck that kept on going.

According to Deputy James Sword, the truck was operated by Michael Dean Watkins, 18, whose last known address was 111 Fairview Drive in Hancock. Watkins has been charged in a warrant with failure to remain at the scene of an accident and reckless driving, Sword said.

In addition, Watkins has a second warrant for an unrelated incident, Sword said.

Watkins is described as white with blond hair and blue eyes. He is 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 135 pounds.

Information may be forwarded to deputies at 240-313-2170.

Overturned truck backs up I-70 traffic

MYERSVILLE, Md. - A tractor-trailer that overturned on eastbound Interstate 70 west of Md. 17 backed up traffic Friday morning, according to Maryland State Police and a Frederick County 911 dispatcher.

The tractor-trailer was carrying drywall when it overturned around 5 a.m., emergency officials said.

One person was taken to a local hospital, police said.

The interstate reopened some time before 8:50 a.m., police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles