Maidens aren't distressed by Trojans

October 12, 2004|by CHRIS CARTER/Staff Correspondent

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - Not once did Waynesboro senior hitter Karey Toms think that the Maidens wouldn't upset No. 1 Chambersburg.

What she didn't anticipate was it being so easy.

Waynesboro impressively knocked off the top-ranked Trojans, 25-12, 25-16, 25-21, marking the first time this season Chambersburg has been swept.

"I didn't expect to come out and win in three games," Toms said. "I thought we'd win the match, but that it would be in five games. We've been excited all day about playing them and we came out ready to win."

Waynesboro set the tone early, reeling off nine straight points to open the first game behind the hot serving of Toms. The Maidens (9-4) took advantage of numerous Chambersburg miscues and led by as much as 14 points in the game.

"I'm not sure what the reason was for us coming out and playing so badly," Chambersburg coach Ty Frelin said. "There wasn't one single thing that we did wrong, we were bad all over."


Even with a commanding lead for much of the game, the Maidens never faultered and swarmed to the ball at every chance.

"I tell the girls to play every point like its their last and they did a very good job tonight," Waynesboro coach Lori Brooks said. "Our hitters hit the ball well and forced them into some mistakes and I think it became more of a mental game than anything else."

The second game started much like the first with Waynesboro making a statement early. After a Chambersburg service error the Maidens got three straight points on perfectly placed kills by Paige Tanner and Jackie Duffie and a firm block by Gillian Hollen giving Waynesboro all the momentum. The Maidens went on to easily win the second game, thanks in part to 11 Trojan errors.

"We didn't come ready to play and we had a lot of trouble with (Waynesboro)," Frelin said. "The bottom line is they played well and we played terrible."

Chambersburg (12-3) finally gave some resistance and showed signs of life in the third game.

Momentarily turning the tables on Waynesboro, the Trojans jumped out to a 5-0 lead and had a 10-4 advantage before Brooks called a timeout.

Following the timeout, the Maidens scored six of the next nine points and slowly chipped away at the lead. Waynesboro forged three ties before taking the lead for good. Tanner led the assault in the final game with four points and three kills, while Toms had two aces during the comeback.

"When the third game started I was a little worried," Toms said. "We kind of lost our focus at the beginning but we came back with a lot of intensity to get the win. It was a really good win."

The Herald-Mail Articles