Advertisement

Family escapes fire in West End

October 06, 2004|by JULIE E. GREENE

julieg@herald-mail.com

A Hagerstown family escaped a residential fire in the West End this morning when the wife woke up and smelled smoke, an assistant Hagerstown fire marshal said this morning.

The smoke detector was going off and she heard it, but Assistant Fire Marshal Richard Miller said it was unclear whether the alarm woke her. She and her husband were sleeping upstairs with the door shut, he said.

The woman woke her husband and daughter, getting them out of the 737 Washington Ave. duplex at the corner of Alexander Street, and went to the neighbor's to call for help, Miller said. Miller said there were at least three people in the house.

Advertisement

The accidental dryer vent fire reported at 4:55 a.m. was contained to the basement with firefighters putting the fire out within 11 or 13 minutes of the call, Miller said. The dryer was not on at the time of the fire, he said.

No people were injured, Miller said. Firefighters rescued the family dog.

Most of the items in the house are salvageable, he said.

There was smoke damage to the first and second floors so the family won't be able to stay in the home they rent, Miller said. He believed they had found somewhere else to stay and the American Red Cross was contacted to assist the family.

Miller did not yet have a damage estimate.

Washington Avenue was closed in that area for a couple of hours, Miller said.

The scene was cleared at 6:49 a.m., a 911 dispatcher said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|