Blue Devils roll past Wildcats, 6-1

October 03, 2004|by DAN KAUFFMAN

WILLIAMSPORT - What traditionally has been a very competitive boys soccer rivalry between Williamsport and Greencastle became a rather one-sided affair on Saturday afternoon.

The No. 2 Blue Devils jumped all over the reeling Wildcats from the beginning, scoring three goals in the game's first 14 minutes and cruising to a 6-1 victory.

Jared Barkdoll and Dustin Young each had a hat trick for Greencastle (10-1), which held possession in the Wildcats' end for nearly the entire 80 minutes and finished with a 34-3 edge in shots.


"They're always a big rivalry down here, and we wanted to come out and put the pressure on them early and keep the pressure on throughout," Young said. "The past two years it's been a heck of a matchup, and we were expecting it to be real close."

The Blue Devils took the lead in the eighth minute when Young's shot caromed off the right goalpost back across the goal mouth. Barkdoll charged in from the left wing and put it away.

In the 10th minute, Barkdoll headed Cory DeMaster's cross from the right side past Wildcats goalie David Hines into the top left corner of the goal for a 2-0 lead.

Four minutes later, Trevor Gelsinger turned some fancy footwork in the middle into an assist, finding Young to his left. Young's shot rolled inside the right post for a 3-0 lead.

"The first 15 minutes was the big rush they had," Williamsport coach Carlos Reyes said. "That's where they killed us. It's a good team, no doubt about it, they're one of the best teams we play."

Young turned another Gelsinger pass into a score in the 35th minute for a 4-0 halftime lead.

"We talked about trying to move the ball quick, and we did, and it generated some scoring opportunities," Blue Devils coach Scott Gelsinger said.

Young and Barkdoll finished off their respective hat tricks in the second half. Young also had two assists for a five-point game.

Seth Shrader scored on a penalty shot in the 51st minute for Williamsport (3-7-1), which is winless after a 3-0 start.

The Herald-Mail Articles