Knights' Leatherman leaves Titans nursing scars

October 03, 2004|by RYAN ALLEN/Staff Writer

FREDERICK, Md. - Wes Leatherman returned to the Middletown lineup Saturday after missing the previous few games with an ankle injury and scored three touchdowns to lead the visiting Knights to a 40-12 victory over Tuscarora in an MVAL Piedmont football game.

"We've been missing him," Middletown coach Tim Ambrose said. "It sure was nice to have him back."

Middletown (2-3) led 14-6 at halftime and broke open the game by scoring three touchdowns in the first seven minutes of the second half.

On the third play of the half, Leatherman took a pitch to his right from quarterback Frank Starnes and cut back to the left side of the field, racing 47 yards for a touchdown.

"I just saw the hole and took off," Leatherman said. "I wasn't going to let anybody catch me."

After a Tuscarora three-and-out, the Knights marched 41 yards in five plays on their next possession, with Scott Putman capping off the drive on a 1-yard plunge.


On the following Tuscarora possession, Middletown linebacker Tyler Moser forced and recovered a fumble to give the Knights the ball on the Tuscarora 30-yard line.

Four plays later, Leatherman reached the end zone for the third time in the game - this time from 3 yards out - to give the Knights a 34-6 lead with 5:05 to play in the third quarter.

"We hung with them for a while, but it comes down to playing four quarters of football," Tuscarora coach Shawn Carey said. "We got down on ourselves in the third quarter and it showed on the field."

Middletown scored first in the game, taking a 7-0 lead on a 29-yard pass from Starnes to tight end Andrew Staszesky.

The Knights added to their lead late in the second quarter when Leatherman scored from 13 yards out on a run up the middle.

"The doctor told me I was just going to have to play with pain, so that's what I'm doing," said Leatherman, whose ankle was heavily bandaged.

Tuscarora (1-4) cut the deficit to 14-6 on the ensuing possession when Chris Castro threw a 28-yard touchdown pass to Spencer Barrick just before halftime.

Castro threw his second touchdown pass of the game late in the third quarter when he connected with Mitchell Weedon deep down the right sideline on a 57-yard play. Castro finished with 108 yards passing.

"We need to start spreading it out and throwing the ball like that earlier in the game to loosen up the defense," Carey said.

Jacob Tousignant finished out the scoring with a 3-yard TD run late.

"We haven't been scoring many points, so it felt good to just execute and gain back some confidence offensively," Ambrose said.

The Herald-Mail Articles