· A pancake breakfast, bulldog contest, truck show, plant tours, live music and carnival rides are some of the activities planned for Mack Trucks Inc.'s 11th annual Bulldog Roundup from 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 18, at the powertrain plant, 13302 Pennsylvania Ave. in Hagerstown. Admission is free, and all events are open to the public. Call 301-790-6784 or 301-790-5475.
· The 27th annual Hancock Canal Apple Festival at Widmeyer Memorial Park will include arts and crafts, live entertainment, a baby contest, car show and food from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 18, and Sunday, Sept. 19. Parade starts at 11 a.m. Saturday. All events are open to the public and admission is free. Call 301-678-6938.
· Antique farm equipment, steam tractor engines and crafts will highlight the 29th annual Steam Engine & Craft Show from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 25, and Sunday, Sept. 26, at the fire hall grounds in Smithsburg. The event also will include an equipment parade, demonstrations and food. Call 301-824-3593.
In Frederick County, Md.:
· Food, crafts and entertainment from around the world will be featured at the Cultural Festival from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 4, at William R. Talley Recreation Center and Baker Park in downtown Frederick. Call 1-301-694-1109.
· Lilypons Water Gardens at 6800 Lilypons Road in Buckeystown, Md., will host the Koi & Wine Festival from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 4, and from 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 5. The festival will include koi exhibits, wine tasting, arts and crafts, food, live music, children's activities, boat rides and water gardening lectures. Call 1-800-999-5459.
· The 15-acre Lawyer's Moonlight Maze at 13001 Creagerstown Road in Thurmont will be open weekends Sept. 17 to Oct. 31. Visitors can fire the pumpkin cannon, which can launch a pumpkin nearly a mile, and try to find their way through the corn maze from 6 to 10 p.m. Fridays and noon to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Call 1-301-271-4826.
· The Great Frederick Fair at the county fairgrounds off 797 E. Patrick St. in Frederick will be held from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, Sept. 17, through Saturday, Sept. 25. The fair will feature agricultural exhibits, country music shows, motor sports events and food. Call 1-301-663-5895.
· Downtown Frederick's In the Street festival along Market Street will offer a marathon, parade, multiple blocks of themed activities and five stages of live entertainment from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 2. Call 1-301-694-2489.
· Blacksmithing demonstrations, hands-on crafts, children's games, house tours, living history demonstrations, hayrides, live music, a tractor pull, cake auction and butchering will be part of the Farm Museum Fall Festival from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 2, and Sunday, Oct. 3, at Rose Hill Manor Park in Frederick. Call 1-301-694-1650.
· Frederick's Oktoberfest 2004 at the county fairgrounds from noon to 10 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 2, and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 3, will celebrate the city's German heritage with live music, dancers, crafts, children's activities and German food and beer. Call 1-301-663-8811.
· Juried arts and crafts and fall activities will comprise the Maryland Mountain Festival from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 2, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 3, at Lynfield Complex off U.S. 15 north of Frederick. Call 1-301-898-5466.
· New Market Days from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 2 and 3, will feature Colonial-era crafts and demonstrators, antiques, entertainment and food. Call 1-301-865-5651.
· Middletown Heritage Days from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 2, and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 3, will include a Civil War re-enactment, artisans, live entertainment, a parade and children's games. The festival will be held at the Middletown Volunteer Fire Department's carnival grounds off Franklin Street. Call 1-301-371-6171.
· Downtown Brunswick's Railroad Days from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 2 and 3, will feature scenic bluegrass train excursions, live entertainment on three stages, crafts and an interactive model railroad. A block party will start at 7 p.m. Saturday. Call 1-301-834-7500.