Dump truck driver hurt in collision with MARC train

August 27, 2004|by JULIE E. GREENE

FREDERICK, Md. - The MARC trains to Frederick County were running as normal Thursday afternoon after a train collided with a dump truck on the Frederick branch of the Brunswick, Md., line Thursday morning, a Maryland Transit Administration spokesman said.

The dump truck's driver was taken to University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, Maryland State Police Cadet William Lloyd said Thursday morning.

The driver's name was not released, but a state police press release said he had serious injuries that did not appear to be life threatening at the time. The truck belonged to Bledsoe Trucking in Germantown, Md.


One of the conductors reported a minor injury, state police said.

None of the train's passengers reported any injuries, according to state police and MTA officials.

A state police press release states there were approximately 150 passengers on the train, but MTA spokesman Richard Scher said there were 86 passengers.

Train No. 894 was traveling south from Frederick at approximately 45 mph when the engineer saw a dump truck sitting on the tracks, Scher said.

The engineer blew the horn and tried to slow down, but could not avoid hitting the truck, Scher said.

Commercial Vehicle Enforcement officials will inspect the truck, state police said.

The Frederick branch of the Brunswick line runs near Essroc Materials Inc., with the track crossing an entry road to Essroc's property, Scher said.

Two MTA buses were sent to help the train's passengers, Scher said. One bus took passengers to MARC stops farther south, while the other bus took passengers back to their vehicles at Monocacy Station.

The front cab of the train was damaged, but the train was able to operate on the track, Scher said. The engineer was not hurt because he sits on the right side of the cab and the cab was damaged on the left side.

The tracks, which are owned by CSX Transportation, were not damaged, CSX spokesman Gary Sease said.

The 7:30 a.m., accident did not affect any other MARC schedules Thursday morning because it occurred mid- to late rush hour and did not happen on the main Brunswick line, Scher said.

The Herald-Mail Articles