Advertisement

Blaze damages attic of Smithsburg home

August 21, 2004|by GREGORY T. SIMMONS

gregs@herald-mail.com

A woman and her two children were uninjured Friday when a fire damaged the attic of their Smithsburg home.

The fire at 13 Maple Ave. started when workers were doing exterior work near the roof of the home, said Chuck Baker, assistant chief of the Smithsburg Volunteer Fire Co.

Tyra House, 32, of Smithsburg, and her two children were inside their home when the smoke detectors sounded Friday afternoon.

House said she went to the attic, saw smoke, grabbed her children and called 911.

Baker said he received the emergency call at 2 p.m. Friday, and more than 30 firefighters responded to the call.

"It was pretty well fully involved in the attic at the time we got there," Baker said.

Baker said a torch that workers were using on the outside of the home caused the fire.

According to emergency dispatch records, a painter who was inside the house when the fire started was treated by the Smithsburg Emergency Medical Service, but not taken to the hospital.

Advertisement

Baker said the worker was treated for heat exposure, but he did not know the worker's name. He said no one else was injured.

House said one of the workers tried to put out the fire with a garden hose, but the flames were too much.

House was consoling her children on her neighbor's porch shortly after the fire. She told her daughter to expect some damage to the inside of the home.

House told a reporter that she and her husband have been renovating their home.

House's husband, David House, 31, said he was not home when the fire broke out.

Some firefighters were inspecting the damage to the Houses' attic as others were clearing their equipment from the street.

"Most of the inside (work) was done," House said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|