As the school year starts, AAA Mid-Atlantic has the following suggestions for drivers:
- Slow down in or near school and residential areas, and be sure to come to a complete stop at all intersections.
- Drive with your headlights on, even during the day, so children and other drivers can see you.
- Watch for clues such as crossing guards, bicycles and playgrounds, which indicate children could be in the area.
- Scan between parked cars and other objects for signs that children could dart into the road.
- Be extra cautious in adverse weather.
- Pay particular attention in the morning and afternoon hours when driving near schools.
- Always stop for school buses that are loading and unloading students.
- Source: AAA Mid-Atlantic