Ex-Boys & Girls Club president sentenced

July 31, 2004|by CANDICE BOSELY

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Despite a plea that he did nothing wrong and that he was only trying to help the Martinsburg-Berkeley County Boys & Girls Club, Glenn Stanley was sentenced Friday to serve four one to 10- year prison sentences.

After a two-day trial in April, a jury found Stanley, 39, guilty of one count of embezzlement, two counts of forgery and one count of uttering. He used Boys & Girls Club money to pay his rent, buy two older sports cars and pay for repairs on those cars and another car.

During a lengthy statement to Circuit Judge Christopher Wilkes, Stanley repeatedly said he had done nothing wrong.

"I'm faced with losing my family for what I thought was right," he said. "I haven't taken anything from anyone, Judge Wilkes."


Stanley said he deposited $80,000 into the club's bank account, but that evidence never was presented at trial.

Exactly how much money Stanley illegally used will be determined later, Wilkes said.

Stanley asked that he not be sentenced to prison and instead be allowed to get a job so he could begin paying restitution.

"I just want to pay back and move on," he said.

Paul Lane, Stanley's court-appointed attorney who took over the case after the trial, also asked for a sentence that did not include prison time. He said that even after he was convicted, Stanley sought jobs that involved working with children.

"I think that's indicative of his character. Good character," Lane said.

Nobody from the Boys & Girls Club spoke at the hearing, although the new director was present.

In response to Stanley, Wilkes said he finds it hard to believe that two small, two-door sports cars were purchased for the club's benefit and added that when Stanley was arrested, one car was in a friend's possession.

Probation is not appropriate because Stanley continues to insist others are at fault and that he is a victim, Wilkes said.

After Wilkes said the sentences will be served concurrently, a bailiff handcuffed Stanley, who covered his face with his hands. He had been free on bail.

Lane began the hearing by asking for an acquittal. He said evidence that Stanley had permission to write checks should have been admitted at the trial, as should evidence about the club's financial status at the time.

Stanley served as interim director from June 2002 until his arrest on Aug. 23, 2002.

The Herald-Mail Articles