Advertisement

Blast from the past

July 21, 2004

Week of July 18, 1954


Clarence G. Emmert will be the county's No. 1 hunter again this fall in that he will have the No. 1 license.

Emmert, a former police chief, has been getting the No. 1 county license for years and makes good use of it during hunting season.

An Indian Springs resident dropped us the following note this week:

"A strip of woods along the Indian Springs-Big Pool road - a beauty spot heretofore to us in the village and to tourists who can see it from Route 40 - is dying; hundreds of large trees are brown and dead. They must have been girdled for pulp wood. The stand is an eyesore on what was a hard-surface beautiful country road."

About a dozen homes, many new, and a score or so of building sites changed owners this week. Transfer of the R.D. McKee store property at 42-44 N. Potomac St. to Thurman C. Lindsey and wife helped boost the aggregate value of the turnover to around the $250,000 mark.

Advertisement
Week of July 18, 1979


Those little wedding announcements and thank-you notes have gone the route of the penny postcard and the five-cent stamp.

And although Hagerstown post office officials say there has been no outpouring of complaints, they are ready if someone tries to sneak a little letter into the mailbox. Starting this week, the U.S. Postal Service will not accept mail smaller than 3 1/2 inches by 5 inches long.

If you can't take the heat, go into the kitchen. Or the living room. Or any place except a commercial building.

By federal order, thermostats in commercial buildings were set at 78 degrees Monday in hopes of saving 400,000 barrels of oil a day nationwide.

The mall is saving up to 50 percent of the energy it normally would use for cooling on a hot day, said Joseph Sirni, chief engineer. He said 78 degrees is an average and there are hot spots as high as 84 degrees.

Four cases of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever have been diagnosed in Washington County so far this summer, according to a Washington County Hospital official.

The disease is transmitted to humans through the bite of an infected tick.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|