Man charged after woman struck with hammer

July 12, 2004|by BRIAN SHAPPELL

HAGERSTOWN - A city man was charged by Hagerstown Police Department Sunday with striking a woman on the head with a hammer inside their apartment.

An argument over cable television use between the man and the woman, who are roommates, resulted in the woman running into an adult video store and locking herself inside, police said.

Timothy A. Wilt, 42, of 23 E. Washington St., Apt. 3W, was charged with first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and openly carrying/wearing a weapon with intent to injure, according to a police news release.


About 3 p.m., police were called to The Video Store at 23 E. Washington St. because a woman covered in blood entered the store asking for help, police said. The woman, Catherine Lee Henson, of the same address as Wilt, told investigators she had been arguing with Wilt about his demand to run a television cable into his room. She said Wilt struck her with the hammer.

Hagerstown Police Department Lt. Richard Johnson said the hammer believed to be used in the assault was found in a sink inside the apartment. Johnson alleged Wilt was in possession of a screwdriver and a large bottle of alcohol when police arrived.

Kathy Shuey, who was at the nearby Pro-Wash laundry at the time of the incident, said she saw both the assailant and the victim run out of the building at about 3 p.m.

"The woman came down bleeding, ran into the video store and locked the door," Shuey said.

A handcuffed Wilt, wearing an unbuttoned white shirt, moved around restlessly and stared at pedestrians from the back of a police car parked nearby. Meanwhile, officers emptied a 1.75-liter bottle of vodka on the sidewalk and inspected a small, red-handled screwdriver found near the store's entrance.

About 3:10 p.m., Henson was taken out of the business on a stretcher by Community Rescue Service.

Police said Henson sustained injuries to her head, right shoulder and both hands. She was treated at Washington County Hospital Sunday afternoon and released, according to police.

Wilt was awaiting an appearance before a Washington County District Court Commissioner Sunday evening.

The Herald-Mail Articles