Court briefs

July 08, 2004|by BRIAN SHAPPELL

Bail set for man accused in stabbing

Bond was set at $250,000 Wednesday for a Hagerstown man charged with stabbing a truck driver, court records say.

Frederick County District Judge W. Milnor Roberts, sitting in Washington County, set bond for Richard T. Short, 18, of 4B Fourth St., during a bail review hearing in Washington County District Court.

Short was charged with first- and second-degree attempted murder, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and wearing/carrying a deadly weapon with intent to injure, records say.

The Hagerstown Police Department alleged the victim, identified in court records as Dennis W. Bowers Jr., was stabbed in the left shoulder after he declined to give money to Short when asked for it in a parking lot on South Potomac Street. Bowers was treated at Washington County Hospital and released, police said.


Short, accompanied by his attorney, George W. Knight Jr., surrendered to authorities at the Hagerstown Police Department Tuesday afternoon.

Short was being held Wednesday evening at the Washington County Detention Center, a detention center spokesman said.

Charges of resisting arrest are forwarded

Eight counts against a Hagerstown man charged with struggling with police were forwarded to Washington County Circuit Court Tuesday, court records say.

Washington County District Judge R. Noel Spence found probable cause to forward the charges against Keith E. Essex Jr., 20, of 390 N. Prospect St., during a preliminary hearing Tuesday.

Essex was charged with two counts of attempting to remove a firearm from a police officer and malicious destruction of property, three counts of second-degree assault and one count of resisting arrest in a June 9 incident at 136 Broadway, records say.

Hagerstown Police alleged that Essex resisted as two officers tried to handcuff him while serving a bench warrant. Essex attempted to unsnap an officer's holster and tried to pull out the handgun, police alleged.

Police said officers used pepper spray to take Essex into custody.

The Herald-Mail Articles