Md. man wounded after firing shots at officers

July 06, 2004

FREDERICK, Md. - A Frederick County man who fired more than 50 rounds in the direction of police over three hours Sunday night was wounded by officers after he fired at them with his rifle, Maryland State Police said.

State police said in a written release that Randy E. Thomas, 49, of the 3100 block of Green Valley Road in Ijamsville, Md., was being treated for gunshot wounds at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Thomas was under police guard, police said. He was listed in fair condition at the hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said Monday night.

Police said that at 8 p.m. Sunday, two troopers responded to a farmhouse in a secluded area west of Green Valley Road in Ijamsville, Md., after hearing from a friend of Thomas' that Thomas shot himself in the shoulder with a rifle.


When troopers arrived, they saw a man armed with a rifle at the back of the house and positioned themselves 175 feet from the house. The man yelled at police, saying that he would kill anyone who came to his house, and police began negotiating his surrender, police said.

Frederick County Sheriff's Department deputies and more troopers joined the first two troopers at the farmhouse. Thomas came out of the house to retrieve a cooler of beer that he then took inside and over the next three hours went to the back of the house, without exposing himself, and shot about 50 rounds in the direction of police, police alleged.

At about 11 p.m., Thomas opened the back door and told police to send in the SWAT team because he was not coming out, but then raised his rifle and fired directly at police, police alleged.

Two troopers and three deputies returned fire, police said. They saw Thomas crawl into the doorway unarmed.

Thomas was flown by helicopter to the shock trauma center, police said.

Police on Monday did not have information on how many times Thomas had been shot, said Frederick barracks Maryland State Police Communication Officer Angela Brumley.

The troopers involved in the shooting were placed on routine administrative leave while the investigation into the shooting continues.

The Herald-Mail Articles