Boy, 17, gets probation in theft

June 17, 2004|by PEPPER BALLARD

A 17-year-old boy admitted in juvenile court Wednesday to plotting the burglary of a pizza deliveryman's car and to the theft of a bicycle.

After the youth admitted to charges of conspiracy to commit theft and misdemeanor theft in separate incidents, Washington County Circuit Judge Frederick C. Wright III, sitting in juvenile court, placed him on indefinite supervised probation.

Wright attached several conditions to the probation, including that the youth maintain good behavior at school, work up to his ability in school and attend school daily unless excused.

A Washington County Public Schools spokeswoman said the boy tested two grades above his grade level in elementary school and tests now in a high percentile. She said he has been in serious trouble 30 times this past year for his behavior, including bad-mouthing his teachers.


Wright, after telling the youth that he has greater potential, said, "There's a lot of stuff that you've got to do and a lot of things you've got to stop doing."

Washington County Assistant State's Attorney Michelle Flores read a statement of facts related to the conspiracy to commit theft charge: On Feb. 29, in the 500 block of West Washington Street, a Domino's Pizza deliveryman reported he had tried to deliver a pizza, returned to his car and found some items had been stolen from it.

After an investigation, it was discovered that the youth, along with two others, concocted a plan to have the pizza delivered to another house, according to the statement of facts.

While the deliveryman was away from his car, the items were removed from it.

Flores also read the statement of facts related to the misdemeanor theft charge: On March 8, two women called the Hagerstown Police Department to report missing bicycles. After the youth was seen riding one of the bicycles, it was recovered and was found to have been damaged. The damage was set at $178.

Flores said no money was owed to the pizza deliveryman because the items were recovered.

Wright told the boy's parents they would have to take responsibility for the $178 in restitution for the damage to the bicycle if the boy could not pay it within 30 days.

The boy's father, when given a chance to speak, said, "If I could control him the way I wanted to, I'd probably be in here myself."

The Herald-Mail Articles