Advertisement

Light is cause of blaze

April 25, 2004|by RICHARD F. BELISLE

waynesboro@herald-mail.com

WAYNESBORO, Pa. -A light used to illuminate work being done in the attic that was either dropped into blown insulation or was forgotten and left on was listed as the cause of a fire on Thursday that caused serious damage to Henicle's Market north of Waynesboro, borough Fire Marshal Jerry Hartman said Friday.

The store, at 11359 Anthony Highway north of Waynesboro will be reopened as soon as possible, said Kerry Bumbaugh, who said he is one of the store's owners.

"We'll fix it up and get it going again," he said.

The store's 18 employees will be kept on the payroll during cleanup and reopening operations, Bumbaugh said.

He said he didn't know how long the store would be closed.

There was no damage estimate as of Friday. All of the store's inventory will be trashed, Bumbaugh said.

"We've already filled up one big dump trailer," he said, pointing to a rig behind the store.

Advertisement

Fire damage was limited mostly to the ceiling and roof area, but the rest of the store sustained heavy smoke and water damage, officials said.

Bumbaugh said the store's wholesale business will continue to operate from a warehouse building next door to the grocery store.

Henicle's is a three-store grocery chain. It's other two stores are at 42 W. Second St. in Waynesboro and 7798 Lincoln Way East in Fayetteville, Pa.

The Anthony Highway store opened in the early 1960s.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|