YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsCars

Ex-Boys and Girls Club club official found guilty

April 22, 2004|BY CANDICE BOSELY

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - After deliberating for two hours, jurors on Wednesday found Glenn E. Stanley guilty of embezzling money and forging checks from the Martinsburg-Berkeley County Boys & Girls Club.

Stanley, 39, of Baltimore, was found guilty on one count of embezzlement, two counts of forgery and one count of uttering. Jurors - five men and seven women - found Stanley innocent on a second count of uttering.

Circuit Judge Christopher Wilkes is scheduled to sentence Stanley on June 11.

Stanley used club money to buy two older sports cars, pay for repairs on those cars and his BMW, for rent and a security deposit, and to pay for his uncle's funeral, according to the investigating officer in the case, Detective Sgt. George Swartwood of the Martinsburg Police Department.


Together, the expenses totaled $6,898. Restitution will be sought, said Berkeley County Prosecutor Games-Neely.

After the verdict, Stanley said he will continue to fight the charges.

"I think it's unfair. I haven't stolen anything from anyone," he said.

Stanley was one of two witnesses who testified in his defense Wednesday. He said that after graduating from college, he was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks, but never made it to the NBA. After playing in two professional basketball leagues overseas for 18 months, he started working with children, he said.

Stanley began working for the Boys & Girls Club in late February, making $6 an hour. In June he was named the interim executive director.

While being questioned by his attorney, Keith Wheaton, Stanley said he bought the two cars for the club's use. He said the cars, a 1984 Nissan 300 ZX and a 1985 Nissan ZX, were small, but that they were a start.

Stanley said he talked to board Vice President Mark Sutton and board President Chris Janelle about buying a van or accepting a van donation, but they rejected the idea. Stanley then took matters into his own hands, he said.

Parents of children who used the club donated money to help pay for transportation, and Stanley said he still has some of their checks.

"Mr. Glenn gained nothing at all," he told jurors.

He admitted that he did not have permission to sign Sutton's name on two checks.

On cross-examination by Games-Neely, Stanley also admitted that he did not have permission to buy the cars and did not have permission to have them repaired.

Club officials testified Tuesday, the first day of the trial, that they did not want to buy any transportation for the club because of liability concerns. Public buses were used to transport children, they said.

When asked about two $500 checks written to his former landlord, Donald Cumberland, Stanley disputed Cumberland's testimony on Wednesday that the money was used to pay his rent and for a security deposit.

Stanley said he used sheet rock, paint and plumbing supplies that belonged to Cumberland to help renovate the club. The $1,000 was payment for the materials, he said.

As for repairs to the cars, Stanley said they were needed to make the cars safe to transport children. He said he also used club money to repair his BMW because he used it to transport children.

The jury's innocent verdict was in connection with a check Stanley used to pay for his uncle's funeral. Former board treasurer Robin Hardy testified that she and Stanley discussed a cash advance to pay for the funeral. She said she believed the amount, $889, was deducted from one of Stanley's subsequent paychecks, and Stanley said that was the case.

The Herald-Mail Articles