Two charged in dumpster dog's death

April 07, 2004|by RICHARD F. BELISLE

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - Two Waynesboro residents were charged Tuesday with animal cruelty in connection with a dog that was found in an industrial trash bin and later died, court records said.

The small white female dog, which was given the name Hope, was found in the trash bin weakened and whimpering, with two broken front legs, in January.

District Justice Larry Pentz issued a summons Tuesday for Sharon K. Black, 43, of 807 W. Main St. An arrest warrant was issued for her boyfriend, Dallas Davis, 36, formerly of the same address.


Waynesboro Police Chief Ray Shultz said police did not know where Davis was.

"We're hoping people will call us," he said.

Davis faces an additional charge of making terroristic threats in connection with alleged threats to kill Black and her son if she refused to put the dog in the trash bin or if she called police, according to affidavits of probable cause on file in Pentz's office.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals offered a $2,500 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case.

The dog, described as a small shepherd mix, died from its injuries Jan. 13, two days after a security guard at the Landis Gardner factory at 20 E. Sixth St. found it in the trash bin.

Black works at Landis Gardner, court records said.

The dog could have been in the bin, injured and without food or water, for as long as 41/2 days before it was found, Waynesboro Patrolman Michael L. Broas, the investigating officer, said in court records.

Antietam Humane Society officials took the dog, which they named Hope, to a veterinarian.

Black called the dog Baby Girl, court records said.

Pentz said Black cooperated with police in the investigation.

Sometime after Dec. 1, Davis took the dog from inside the residence at 807 W. Main St. and out into the yard where he hit it, threw it on the ground several times and hit it with a cane, breaking its legs, court records allege.

Davis tried to heal it by fashioning leg splints from a broken wooden folding ruler and tape. He also gave it antibiotics left over from one of Black's dental appointments, court records said.

There was no motive listed in court records.

At one point, Davis told Black that he should shoot the dog to get rid of it, court records said. A few days later, he told her he was tired of dealing with it, that it tried to bite him and that he killed it, court records allege.

Black told investigators that Davis ordered her to take the dog in a black plastic garbage bag to the trash bin at work.

If she refused he said he would "have his people come up and hurt her and her son," court records allege. He also threatened to burn down the house with her and her son inside if she refused, records allege.

Police charged Black because she failed to seek veterinary care for the dog for several days while it was suffering in her home, court records said.

Black remains free pending a preliminary hearing in her case scheduled for May 4.

The Herald-Mail Articles