City man faces multiple charges

April 02, 2004|by BRIAN SHAPPELL

A Hagerstown man's name turned up on the Washington County District Court docket several times this week.

Four cases against Mark E. Ernst, 36, of 31 Madison Ave., were reviewed over three days, according to court records.

Records say four sets of charges against Ernst were forwarded to Washington County Circuit Court on Tuesday and Thursday.

Ernst was being held without bond Thursday night at the Washington County Detection Center on robbery and indecent assault charges, a detention center spokeswoman said.

The following information was provided by court records:

On Tuesday, District Court Judge Ralph H. France II found probable cause to proceed with the case against Ernst in connection with a March 3 robbery at the Blake Road Super 8 Motel, records say


Ernst was charged with two counts each of robbery and false imprisonment and one count of theft worth less than $500, records say.

At about 4:53 a.m., Washington County Sheriff's Department deputies were called to the Super 8 Motel at 16805 Blake Road, west of Hagerstown, after a man ordered two employees to stay in a laundry room and took approximately $248.

Ernst waived his right to a preliminary hearing on charges related to another March 3 robbery that occurred less than 90 minutes earlier at a Salem Avenue convenience store.

Ernst was charged with robbery, attempted robbery, theft of more than $500, theft of less than $500, second-degree assault, attempted theft and malicious destruction of property in connection with that incident.

In that case, Hagerstown police were called to the 7-Eleven store at 802 Salem Ave. after a man stole the cash register containing $108.86. Police said the man pushed an employee inside the store.

On Thursday, Ernst was scheduled to appear in District Court for preliminary hearings on two indecent exposure charges. Instead, he requested a jury trial in Washington County Circuit Court on both charges.

A statement of probable cause explaining the reason for the charges was not available at District Court on Thursday.

The Herald-Mail Articles