Celebrity news

March 15, 2004

Archbishop Tutu speaking in Okla.

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - Archbishop Desmond Tutu, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize for his work against apartheid in South Africa, will speak next week in Oklahoma City.

His March 23 speech at Oklahoma City University is free and open to the public, but seating will be limited to the first 3,000 people.

Tutu, who was the first black African to serve as general secretary of the South African Council of Churches, used the position to conduct a campaign against apartheid. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984.

He was appointed to South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission by President Nelson Mandela after the white government fell.

Tutu plans to speak at the University of Tulsa on March 27.

Presley talks about Jackson marriage

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Lisa Marie Presley said she "saw things she could do nothing about" during her brief marriage to Michael Jackson, but refused to elaborate.


In an interview with Australian Broadcasting Corp.'s respected "Enough Rope" talk show to be aired tonight, Presley said she felt powerless during her marriage to the self-styled King of Pop. Excerpts of the interview were released Sunday.

Presley said she felt "powerless in a lot of ways, in terms of ... realizing that I was part of a machine, and seeing things going on that I couldn't do anything about.

"And don't ask me what sort of things, because I'm not going to answer. But just stuff."

Jackson and Presley, who is in Australia promoting her own singing career, were married from 1994 to 1996. Asked how she felt about Jackson now, Presley replied: "It's really bizarre; I feel nothing."

Jackson has pleaded innocent in California to seven counts of performing lewd or lascivious acts on a child younger than 14 and two counts of administering an intoxicating agent, reportedly wine. He is free on $3 million bail pending trial.

Long line forms for Trump show

BURBANK, Calif. (AP) - The line to audition for the second season of the hit reality show "The Apprentice" stretched the length of four football fields outside NBC's Burbank studios as more than 1,000 people sought a spot on the program featuring billionaire Donald Trump.

Trump was not present Saturday because "Apprentice" producers didn't want to overshadow his appearance at Thursday's auditions in New York. More than a dozen casting calls will take place in cities including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Miami and San Francisco.

Kevan Moezzi of Seal Beach showed up 19 hours early to earn wristband No. 3, meaning he was third in line to be interviewed. He and two others slept outside the studios to be first in line.

"If I get this show, it will open up so many opportunities," Moezzi said. "I gotta get in there and show them what it takes."

Rob LaPlant, the show's casting producer, said he is looking for "real people" to join the show.

"The worst thing someone can do here is not talk," he said. "We throw out a topic and see how they react."

School harrassment lawsuit is settled

LAS VEGAS (AP) - A Nevada school district has agreed to pay $200,000 to settle a sexual-harassment lawsuit filed by the son of radio talk show host Art Bell.

Arthur Bell IV was a sophomore at Pahrump Valley High School in May 1997 when he was sexually assaulted by a substitute teacher. The teacher, Brian Lepley, was later convicted and sentenced to prison.

"It's been a long case, and I know my client is glad that it's over," Bell's lawyer, John Hawley, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal on Friday.

Paul Anderson, who represents the Nye County School District, said the same settlement was offered a few years ago but was rejected. The case was scheduled for trial later this month in Las Vegas.

"We're pleased with the result," Anderson said. "We don't acknowledge any liability in the case and felt that we had a strong defense."

The younger Bell, now 23, identified himself as the plaintiff when he filed an amended lawsuit in May 1999, six months after his parents anonymously filed suit on his behalf.

Art Bell founded the "Coast to Coast" radio show in 1993 but resigned in April 2000 after his son was assaulted. He returned to the air in 2001 but retired two years later, citing ongoing back problems.

In September, he announced his return as weekend host of the program.

The Herald-Mail Articles