Former Waynesboro fire chief faces theft charges

February 26, 2004|by RICHARD F. BELISLE

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - Former Waynesboro fire chief Glenn Dale Fishack Jr. has been charged with two counts of theft of fire department money, according to records on file in District Justice Larry Pentz's office.

The misdemeanor citations were sent to Fishack by certified mail Tuesday, according to the affidavit of probable cause. His address was listed as being in Hagerstown.

Fishack was put on administrative leave by the Waynesboro Borough Council in November. A month later, he announced his resignation.

He was hired as Waynesboro's paid fire chief in 1997 and earned about $36,000 a year.

Fishack did not return a phone call Wednesday.

According to court records, Fishack is charged with two counts of theft by failure to make required disposition of funds received. Both are class 2 misdemeanors.


Fishack is scheduled to appear at a preliminary hearing in Franklin County Central Court on March 23 at 9 a.m.

Pennsylvania State Police Trooper Bradley C. Ford is the investigating officer.

Fishack is accused of depositing fire department funds into his personal banking account on two occasions and selling pager and radio batteries owned by the fire department and keeping the money. The batteries were sold for $10 each, court records alleged.

Two fire department members told police that they bought batteries from Fishack, court records said.

On May 29, 2003, and again on July 1, 2003, he received two checks made out to the fire department and deposited them in his personal account at Home Federal Bank, court records said.

The amount of the checks was not included in the court records. Local officials said Wednesday they totaled slightly more than $600.

Fishack told police that he deposited the checks into his personal account because "he and another guy made this money for the fire company and he was going to keep the money only until the fire company needed it for something else," court records said.

He said the money was still in his account and that he had no intention of spending it, according to court records. He said he felt that the money did not belong to any general fund for everyone to use. He said he would "discuss the use of this money when he thought it would be needed with his fellow officers," according to court records.

Timothy Misner, the fire department's attorney, notified borough police when he found out that the checks had been deposited in Fishack's account, court records said.

Borough police turned the case over to state police because they didn't want to investigate another borough agency, according to court records.

Fishack's duties are being handled by volunteer deputy fire chiefs Jody Sanders and Chris McGarity. Both hold full-time jobs with the borough.

Sanders is in the borough's maintenance department and McGarity is a borough police officer.

The Herald-Mail Articles