Advertisement

Fire destroys Big Pool garage

February 20, 2004|by PEPPER BALLARD

pepperb@herald-mail.com

BIG POOL - With billowing smoke coming from his burnt garage, Frederick Bowers stood with his hands in his pockets, saying he was thankful no one was hurt in the Thursday afternoon blaze in Big Pool.

Bowers, 67, paced in front of his 10945 Big Pool Road home Thursday and watched as more than 20 firefighters from Clear Spring, Hancock and Williamsport walked to the steel garage that once housed his horse supplies.

Warren Royce, assistant chief of the Clear Spring Fire Department, said it took firefighters between 20 to 25 minutes to knock down the 2:15 p.m. fire, the cause of which was not immediately known.

Advertisement

Bowers' neighbors had let his two horses and two mules out to run in the back field, he said, but the horse's saddles and harnesses were lost in the fire.

About $1,000 worth of tools, air compressors and metal cutting machines were also lost, he said.

Royce said Bowers' family was evacuated from the home because they had reports that items were exploding in the garage and had concerns the fire might spread to the tiled tan rancher house about 50 feet away.

"Wasn't nobody in it, thank God," Bowers said.

He said he had cleaned up the garage before he left for Clear Spring to haul some water into town. He had even checked the woodstone oven that sat inside the garage before he left, he said.

When he was on his way home from Clear Spring his wife called to say the garage was gone, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|