Advertisement

Stove burner causes fire

February 15, 2004

SMITHSBURG - A utility room fire on Saturday morning that caused approximately $70,000 damage to the home and business of the Jernigan landscaping business has been blamed on a stove burner that accidentally was turned on, a spokesman for the Maryland Fire Marshal's office said.

Faron Taylor said the Jernigan family had left the home at 22725 Stevenson Road about 45 minutes before a neighbor spotted the blaze and reported it at 10:48 a.m. Saturday,

Taylor said the stove, an older model with push button controls, may have been turned on by a family pet. The burner then ignited papers next to it and the fire spread quickly.

The Jernigan family temporarily was staying with family because of the damage to the two-story masonry/frame house, Taylor said.

More than 55 firefighters from Smithsburg, Leitersburg, Mount Aetna and Waynesboro, Pa., extinguished the fire. The Washington County Air and Rehab units also were on the scene.

Advertisement

There were no injuries.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|