How to report a pothole

February 13, 2004

If you find a pothole during your commute, you can call local roads departments to get them fixed. It helps to know who is in charge of the street.

The State Highway Administration is in charge of most roads with route numbers, such as Interstate 81, U.S. 40/National Pike and Md. 68.

The Washington County Highway Department will handle most named roads within the county, except for those within Hagerstown city limits; for those, call the Hagerstown Department of Public Works.

Pothole hot lines:

-- State Highway Administration

1-800-323-6742 (toll free)

301-791-4790 (Hagerstown office)

-- Washington County Highway Department


-- Hagerstown Department of Public Works


301-739-8577, ext. 178

The Herald-Mail Articles