Advertisement

Police log

February 10, 2004

Md. men charged with making device


BRUNSWICK, Md. - Two men were arrested Monday in connection with a discovery of a destructive device at a Brunswick home last week.

A State Fire Marshal's Office news release said authorities found a device - a pint bottle containing gasoline and a paper wick - inside a residence in the unit block of North Maryland street.

John S. Wade, 23, of that residence, and Ronald W. Lavely, 23, of the 100 block of Central Avenue, each were charged by the Brunswick Police Department with manufacturing a destructive device and reckless endangerment, according to the release.

The release said the device was found inside the home last Thursday after authorities received complaints of a "strange odor."

A Frederick County Adult Detention Center spokesman said Wade and Lavely were being held there Monday evening on $50,000 bond each.

Advertisement



Man charged with failing to register


A convicted child sex offender was charged by local authorities with failing to register a change of address for the second time in four months, the Washington County Sheriff's Department said.

Deputies said Bryan Lee Haines, 24, of no known address, was charged Monday after surrendering to police custody.

Deputies alleged that Haines also failed to register with the Sex Offender Registry Unit in Pikesville, Md., in October when he moved from his residence at 3 Maple Ave. Deputies have said registrants must notify the unit, in writing, within seven days of an address change.

A Washington County Detention Center spokesman said Haines was being held there Monday evening on $35,000 bond.




Man complains of poisoning symptoms


The Washington County 911 Communications Center received a call for carbon monoxide poisoning Monday morning at Boonsboro Produce Market, an emergency dispatcher said.

The call was for a 48-year-old man, the dispatcher said.

The man came into the store at 7638 Old National Pike on a delivery and complained of symptoms related to carbon monoxide poisoning, said Todd Smith, a paramedic with the Boonsboro Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Service.

He said the ambulance service transported him to Washington County Hospital as a precautionary measure.




Deputies respond to report of stolen van


The Washington County Sheriff's Department responded to the following calls on Saturday:

  • A theft of a 1999 Plymouth van at 5:05 a.m. The burgundy color van was reported stolen from 69 S. Main St. in Smithsburg, Cpl. Roy Harsh said.

    Harsh said Pennsylvania State Police in Chambersburg, Pa., reported the van was involved in an accident and that police there were detaining a person in connection with the accident in Pennsylvania.

  • Police received a report of a U-Haul truck not being returned to 11609 Hopewell Road. Harsh said the U-Haul was rented to a person who lives on West Washington Street in Hagerstown.

  • Somebody broke into D and P Coin Op laundromat at 17518 Virginia Ave. Harsh said video surveillance equipment was stolen.


There were no estimates of damage or value of the property taken, he said.




Repair shop owner in critical condition


CASCADE - The owner of the auto repair shop injured in a fire there Saturday was listed in critical but stable condition at the Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C., a hospital spokeswoman said Monday.

The Deputy State Fire Marshal said Gary Mekerdijian, whose age and address were not released, sustained burns during a 3:11 p.m., fire Saturday at the garage at 25216 Military Road. The fire, which caused an estimated $160,000 in damages to the structure, started when gasoline splashed on a hot work light and spread to combustibles inside the shop, they said.

Deputy State Fire Marshal Jason Mowbray said Sunday that the preliminary investigation indicated the fire was accidental. Mowbray said Mekerdijian had burns to his upper body, face and hands, but he did not know the severity of the burns.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|