Advertisement

Crews battle morning blaze

December 22, 2003|by BRIAN SHAPPELL

SMITHSBURG - Firefighters fought a chimney and attic fire in a home near the Frederick County, Md., line for 75 minutes Sunday morning before containing it.

A Washington County 911 center spokesman said crews were dispatched at 9:30 a.m. to 9542 Crystal Falls Drive for the fire.

David Shoop, of the Mt. Aetna Volunteer Fire Department, said the fire started in the chimney of the home and extended into the walls. Shoop said no one was injured in the blaze, and the owners of the home, whom he did not identify, were not displaced.

"It was just time-consuming because of how the house was laid out," Shoop said.

Shoop said a damage estimate was not available Sunday, and an investigation is ongoing.

Sunday's blaze is the second on Crystal Falls Drive this month. On Dec. 7, a fire apparently caused by an electrical malfunction engulfed half of a two-story duplex at 10912A Crystal Falls Drive.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|