Advertisement

Police log

December 03, 2003

Crews fight fire at W.Va. pallet factory


CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - Firefighters worked for two hours early Tuesday to extinguish a fire at Burch's Box Factory on Box Factory Road, a fire official said.

Wood pallets are made at the factory, which consists of several buildings, said Ed Smith, chief of the Independent Fire Co.

A duct system draws sawdust from the buildings and dispenses it into a silo-type building, Smith said.

A fire started in about 8 feet of sawdust in the structure and firefighters used a foam substance to extinguish the fire, which was reported at about 5 a.m., Smith said.

Smith said he did not know the cause of the fire. Fires in such operations are common, and can be caused by a spark or some other source, Smith said.

Advertisement

The fire caused little damage and plant officials were able to resume operations, Smith said.

Box Factory Road is between Middleway, W.Va., and Summit Point, W.Va., in Jefferson County.




Chimney collapse causes attic fire


CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - Fire started in an attic of a house along Kabletown Road Tuesday morning after part of a wood stove chimney collapsed, a fire official said.

Part of the chimney collapsed when several bricks fell out of the chimney, said Ed Smith, chief of Independent Fire Co.

When the chimney collapsed, fire from the wood stove got into the attic, causing the 8:39 a.m. fire, Smith said.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the attic, Smith said.

The home is owned by Kenneth Kelly.




City woman burned in fire still critical


A Hagerstown woman who was burned in an apartment fire remained in critical condition Tuesday night, a spokeswoman for Washington Hospital Center said.

Brenda L. Hitt was burned Sunday in her apartment at 39 E. North Ave.

Investigators had no new information about the fire Tuesday.




Two treated after Frederick duplex fire


FREDERICK, Md. - Two people were treated for smoke inhalation after an unattended candle caused a small fire at a Frederick duplex Monday night, the Maryland Fire Marshal's Office said.

Marie Higgins and an unidentified neighbor were taken to Frederick Memorial Hospital, where they were treated and released, the fire marshal's office said.

Higgins, of 127 Pennsylvania Ave., Frederick, also was treated for burns on her left hand, the fire marshal's office said.

The candle burning in her bedroom caused about $4,000 damage.

The fire was reported at 11:24 p.m. Monday.




Charles Town to run sobriety checkpoint


CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - The Charles Town Police Department will run a sobriety checkpoint beginning at 9 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 12 and concluding at 4 p.m. on Dec. 13, according to a news release from the Charles Town department.

The checkpoint will be held in the 700 block of South George Street (W.Va. 115), according to the release.

Alternate routes include Jefferson Avenue, South Samuel Street and Old Route 340.

The checkpoint is being paid for by a grant awarded to the department by the West Virginia Commission on Drunk Driving Prevention.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|