Guidelines for special permission requests

November 17, 2003

Special permission to attend a school outside of the designated school attendance area may be granted for the following reasons:

1. When there is a need for a specific academic or special program or course that is not available in the home school attendance area.

2. When both parents/guardians, or one if applicable, are employed and the student stays with a sitter who resides in Washington County, but outside the child's attendance area. This applies to students younger than 13.

3. When school boundaries have been changed and a student is in the last year of a program at a particular elementary or middle school, or in the last two years of a program at a particular high school.


4. When a student's parents/guardians have moved from the home-school attendance area but still reside in Washington County, a student may be permitted to complete the school year at his or her current school. If a student is within one year of completing elementary or middle school, or within two years of completing high school, permission may be extended.

5. When a student is a member of a family (Washington County resident) with bona fide plans to move into the school attendance area within 90 days of original request for special permission. Bona fide plans include:

  • Contract with completion or "move-in" dates is required.

  • For rentals, a contract and "move-in" date are required.

6. When a student is eligible to transfer under the provisions of the federal No Child Left Behind Act.

7. When a significant hardship is deemed to exist by the principal or student services.

Grade levels within schools may be closed when the projected enrollment exceeds preferred local rated capacity, which may be determined by the executive directors of elementary and secondary schools.

Source: Washington County Public Schools request form for special permission

The Herald-Mail Articles