Snyder says he attended treatment center

October 30, 2003|by DAVE McMILLION

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - West Virginia state Sen. Herb Snyder said Wednesday he has been to a drug and alcohol treatment center that specializes in alcohol rehabilitation and is receiving out-patient care from a psychiatrist as part of the treatment for his drinking problem.

Snyder, D-Jefferson, was charged in August with first-offense driving under the influence and DUI over .10 as he was leaving the Jefferson County Fair in his car, police said.

Snyder described the treatment he has been undergoing for his drinking problem following a hearing in Jefferson County Magistrate Court Wednesday morning.


The hearing before Magistrate Mary Paul Rissler was held to review procedures for the case.

After the hearing, Snyder responded to questions about his treatment process.

Snyder said he initially was an in-patient at the Roxbury drug and alcohol treatment center in Shippensburg, Pa. He said he now receives outpatient care from a psychiatrist.

Snyder could not say how long his treatment will last.

"I'm committed. I'm very committed. This will never happen again," Snyder said outside magistrate court.

Snyder said he regularly attends Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, sometimes three times a day.

Jefferson County Sheriff's Department Deputy William Parker pulled over Snyder at about 9:40 p.m. on Aug. 21 as Snyder was leaving the Jefferson County Fair, Sheriff Everett "Ed" Boober said previously.

Snyder was pulled over in his black Lincoln Continental after a fair official and other people told Parker that Snyder appeared to be drunk.

Snyder's face was red, his eyes were bloodshot and his breath smelled like alcohol, Parker said.

A bag containing four empty Coors Light cans, two empty beer bottles and an empty bottle of Mike's Hard Lemonade were in Snyder's car, and he failed four sobriety tests, police said.

Snyder, who is running for re-election next year, was released on $3,000 bail.

Snyder sat in the audience section of the courtroom while his lawyer, Charles Town attorney John Skinner, and Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Charles B. Howard worked out the details.

Rissler said she wanted to notify both attorneys that she used to work for Skinner's law firm before becoming a magistrate. Skinner and Howard said they did not object to Rissler hearing the case.

The next step in the case could be a pre-trial hearing, where any unresolved issues could be worked out, Skinner said.

It is too early to say whether there will be a trial in the case, Skinner said. How the case will end up likely will be determined through the discovery process, Skinner said.

The Herald-Mail Articles