Teen sought in Frederick shooting is arrested in Hagerstown

October 28, 2003|by BRIAN SHAPPELL

Hagerstown City Police officers on Monday arrested a 17-year-old Frederick, Md., resident who was wanted in connection with an attempted murder in Frederick.

City police and the Frederick Police Department also searched for several hours for the juvenile's brother, who also faces charges in the September shooting.

Police arrested the juvenile at approximately 5:20 p.m. at 239 N. Mulberry St., police said. Information from an anonymous caller led to his arrest, police said.


Police said officers were talking to a female resident when an officer saw the juvenile peering from an attic window.

Hagerstown Police Sgt. Timothy Wolford said a brief standoff ensued.

"He barricaded himself in the attic for a short time, but then gave up," Wolford said.

Wolford said Sgt. Curtis Wood talked the juvenile into surrendering.

Wolford said the juvenile's brother, Monroe A. Myers, was not at the residence, but police were unsure if he was there earlier Monday.

Police in Washington and Frederick counties were looking on Monday evening for Monroe Myers, who was believed to be traveling in a champagne-colored Kia Sportage, said Cpl. Dennis Dudley of the Frederick Police Department.

Dudley said police there received information that Monroe Myers was in Frederick at approximately 6 p.m., though officers could not locate him.

Dudley said Frederick police charged a juvenile, whom he would not identify, and Monroe Myers with attempted first-degree murder, first-degree assault, reckless endangerment, handgun used in a felony, possession of a handgun in a vehicle and possession of a deadly weapon with intent to injure in connection with a Sept. 5 incident at the intersection of All Saints Street and South Market Street.

Dudley said the juvenile was arrested Monday by Hagerstown police and was being turned over to Frederick authorities.

On Sept. 5, a juvenile, who was with Monroe Myers, allegedly fired a handgun at Tyrone T. Price from inside the Kia, Dudley said. No injuries were reported as a result of the shooting.

Dudley said the Frederick Police Department has been treating the daylight shooting as a "high-priority investigation."

The Herald-Mail Articles