John Munson faces charge

October 28, 2003|by BRIAN SHAPPELL

An employee of a cellular telephone business has filed a complaint in Washington County District Court alleging that Washington County Commissioner John C. Munson assaulted her Monday in the store, a District Court Commissioner said.

Washington County District Court Commissioner Chuck Bowler said Trisha Lynn of Hagerstown, an employee at U.S. Cellular at 39 Eastern Blvd., filed the criminal complaint against Munson.

Bowler said Munson would be served with a summons notifying him that he was to appear in court on Dec. 23 on a second-degree assault charge.


Hagerstown City Police Sgt. Timothy Wolford said police served Munson at 8:15 p.m. Monday. He said Munson went to police headquarters to pick up the paperwork.

Munson said Monday night he threw a phone and charger at a wall Monday, but never made physical contact with the employee.

Lynn alleged Munson pushed her into a countertop, causing her to fall and strike her head, causing a minor injury, Bowler said.

Police were called to the business but did not charge Munson.

A Hagerstown Police Department spokesman said investigating officers did not file charges against Munson because the allegations involved a misdemeanor assault that was not witnessed by police.

The spokesman said that in such cases it would be up to the individual leveling the allegations to pursue charges.

Munson denied assaulting Lynn.

"I never touched her," Munson said. "She was behind the counter - I was in front of the counter."

Munson said he went to U.S. Cellular Monday morning because he was having problems with a wire to his cellular phone charger. Munson said the woman became upset with him because he wanted to replace it.

Munson said he then "went off the deep end" and threw the items against the back wall of the store.

"I was wrong; I threw it, and I should not have done it," Munson said.

The phone did not hit Lynn, according to Munson.

Munson said the incident took less than five minutes. He said police officers on the scene said they would not charge him, but Lynn would have the option of filing a complaint at District Court.

"Police told me to go on my way and not to worry about it," Munson said.

Two women, one wearing a U.S. Cellular shirt and another wearing a U.S. Cellular identification, declined to comment when leaving Washington County District Court Monday at 4:43 p.m.

Gerry Wilson, director of sales for the Mid-Atlantic Market of U.S. Cellular, said he could not comment on the incident, but said Lynn was doing well Monday evening.

"Trisha's well-being, as well as all of our employees, is our main concern," Wilson said. "It was just an unfortunate situation."

Staff writer Tara Reilly contributed to this story.

The Herald-Mail Articles