Advertisement

School is like a mini-city

October 05, 2003|by ANDREW SCHOTZ

andrews@herald-mail.com

Principal Robert T. "Bo" Myers is right: North Hagerstown High School is a mini-city within a city.

If the school were to secede and incorporate, it would be the sixth-most-populated municipality in Washington County. It would be twice as big as Sharpsburg and three times the size of Clear Spring.

North Hagerstown High School has about 1,230 students - close to 25 percent more than South Hagerstown High School, the county's second-biggest school.

About 120 people work at North High, including teachers, administrators, janitors and food service employees.

The 168,750-square-foot school building sits on 68.76 acres.

The school day runs from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Instead of seven (or eight) academic periods, as some schools have, North High's classes are arranged in four longer blocks, which are called "mods."

Advertisement

North High, as an entity, is 47 years old. In 1956, the city's only high school, Hagerstown High, closed and split into North High and South High.

North High stayed at the old Hagerstown High building on North Potomac Street until 1958, when the current high school building opened at 1200 Pennsylvania Ave. The building opened with a student body population of about 1,500.

A Daily Mail account of opening day - Sept. 8, 1958 - spoke about the building in glowing terms.

"The new North End High opened on schedule and the students spent much of the morning inspecting what is acclaimed one of the finest schools in the East."

North High was renovated in 1992.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|