Advertisement

Man injured in garage fire

October 01, 2003|by SCOTT BUTKI

A man was injured in a fire while working on a car at Antietam Transportation on Tuesday afternoon, Fire Marshal Tom Brown said.

The fire at the business at 261 Frederick St. occurred at about 1:20 p.m., fire officials said.

The fire victim was taken to Washington County Hospital and later flown to John Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Brown said.

The victim's identity was not released Tuesday. He was not an employee of Antietam Transportation, company co-owner Doug Shumaker said.

Brown said a Mercury on which the man was working was heavily damaged and the garage the car was in had smoke and roof damage. A damage estimate was pending, he said.

Brown said the burned man was under a car working on the car's gas tank when some of the gas remaining in the tank spilled onto the floor. Some of the gas probably also landed on the man, Brown said.

Advertisement

A nearby electric shop light ignited the gas fumes, Brown said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|