Man charged in shooting held without bond

August 29, 2003|by JULIE E. GREENE

The man charged in a June shooting on East Franklin Street that wounded two people continued to be held without bond after a Thursday afternoon bond review.

Washington County District Judge Ralph France ordered Marcus Jarod Chestnut held without bond at the Washington County Detention Center.

Chestnut, 19, whose last known local address was 129 E. Franklin St., Apt. 2, was returned to Hagerstown by Hagerstown City Police on Tuesday night after he was arrested in Montgomery County, Md., on drug charges, police have said.

Chestnut is charged with three counts each of attempted murder in the first and second degrees, first- and second-degree assault, conspiracy to commit attempted murder in the first degree, conspiracy to commit attempted murder in the second degree, conspiracy to commit first- and second-degree assault, and one count each of use of a handgun during a violent crime and carrying a handgun on his person, according to District Court records.


On June 24 at 9:27 p.m., police were called to the 100 block of East Franklin Street for a shooting and found two people shot.

Melissa Emilcar had a gunshot wound to the leg and Kelvin Baker was shot in the arm and back, police said. Both were taken to Washington County Hospital and have been released, according to police.

Emilcar, Baker and Raymond Davis were standing near the north side of the street when they were approached by three males and a brief argument began, police said.

At one point, one of the men who approached them pulled a gun and began shooting at the group before fleeing, police said.

Chestnut participated in Thursday's bond review proceeding via a video feed from the detention center where he was being held.

Assistant Washington County State's Attorney Viki Pauler asked France to continue having Chestnut held without bond because, "He's clearly a danger to society and doesn't deserve to be out on bond."

Assistant Washington County Public Defender Mimi Teahan had asked France to set a reasonable bond in the range of $200,000.

The Herald-Mail Articles