Advertisement

Clear Spring Town Council briefs

August 12, 2003|by MARLO BARNHART

Water storage bid documents reviewed


CLEAR SPRING - Bid documents on the new water storage/treatment system for the town's water customers are being reviewed.

"Some engineering work still needs to be done," Mayor Paul Hose Jr. said at Monday night's Town Council meeting.

In a special meeting in July, representatives of the Maryland Department of the Environment met with town and Washington County Water Quality officials and personnel from the firms that are conducting pilot testing of the water at the town reservoir.

The test results for turbidity - the amount of sediment solids in the water - done by the local water plant operators were questioned by state officials. More tests were ordered with calibrated turbidity meter results.

The companies participating in the pilot study are U.S. Filter and Kinecto.

Those resulting preliminary test results indicated the Maryland Department of the Environment would approve both systems for Clear Spring. After the bids are received, the town will look for a recommendation from Washington County Water Quality officials.

Advertisement



Mayor, council displeased by tax


CLEAR SPRING - Following in the footsteps of Hagerstown, the Clear Spring mayor and Town Council Monday night expressed displeasure at the proposal that the county's new excise tax on building permits be collected by the town and then turned over in its entirety.

"Washington County Commissioners have enacted it, asked that we collect and we get none of it," Mayor Paul Hose Jr. said.

The town currently gets 25 percent of what is collected on building permits and the county takes the other 75 percent. While that split will continue, the town will get none of the new money taken in.

The new tax, which went into effect July 1, levies $1 per square foot on all multifamily dwellings and townhouses. The excise tax on single-family homes starts at 25 cents per square foot, rising by 25 cents a year until it reaches 75 cents in 2006.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|