Man charged in robbery held in jail

August 01, 2003|by GREGORY T. SIMMONS

A man charged in the robbery of a Hagerstown craft store with a toy gun is now back in Washington County, but this time he is in jail.

Robin Eugene Lewis, 36, whose address was listed on an arrest warrant as 13122 Brandenburg Hollow Road, Smithsburg, was brought from Sussex County, Del., to Washington County District Court, where he was served with the warrant.

Lewis, who is charged here with armed robbery, robbery, first- and second-degree assault, false imprisonment and reckless endangerment, is being held on $200,000 bond at the Washington County Detention Center.


Acting on a tip from Washington County, police in Rehoboth Beach, Del., found Lewis working at an ice cream shop Saturday.

The local charges stem from an April 2 robbery at the Michaels Arts and Crafts store on Cole Road.

That night, Washington County Sheriff's deputies were called to the store about 9:30 p.m., where they found that a store manager had been forced to hand over deposit bags and then was bound by duct tape, according to court files.

The assailant had shown what appeared to be a silver-colored revolver, but he dropped it at one point, and the manager realized it was a fake, according to charging documents.

The man allegedly took $5,973 from the store, about $5,000 of which was cash, police said in charging documents. Police later recovered some of the money.

On April 10, police spoke to Aaron Smith, a former roommate of Lewis', who said Lewis called him on the night of the robbery, asking Smith to pick him up at the intersection of Interstates 81 and 70, according to charging documents.

Smith told police that when he arrived, he saw a police helicopter and cars near Michaels and immediately thought Lewis was in trouble, according to the documents. Smith called Lewis on his cell phone and Lewis allegedly confessed to getting money, but Smith said he would turn Lewis in to police, police said in the court papers.

On May 10, Smith discovered Lewis - who had lived with Smith until March, when he was kicked out for missing rent - was living in an attic crawl space in his home. Lewis fled, allegedly taking Smith's sport utility vehicle.

The Herald-Mail Articles