Man charged with trying to escape from police

July 30, 2003|by GREGORY T. SIMMONS

A Hagerstown man who was being taken to jail Tuesday afternoon ran from a police officer through downtown streets before he was tackled off East Washington Street, police and witnesses said.

Devin A. Detwiler, 24, of 125 E. Washington St., was charged Tuesday night with second-degree escape, second-degree assault and resisting arrest, and was ordered held without bond pending a bail review hearing.

Only a few hours earlier, Detwiler was committed, during a District Court hearing, to the Washington County Detention Center because he could not pay the $5,211 he owed in a local child-support case, according to court records.


Just after 3 p.m., Washington County Sheriff's Deputy Paul Boyer was taking Detwiler back to his car when Detwiler broke free and began running, Boyer said in charging documents.

Gina Thompson, 19, of Summit Avenue, said she and a few friends were sitting outside on North Locust Street when they saw the man later identified as Detwiler being chased by a police officer who was yelling after him.

Thompson said Detwiler stopped to bang on one car, asking to be let in, but then kept running.

"And then we saw a bunch of police cars coming up," said Thompson's friend Matthew Gilroy, 19, of North Locust Street.

Boyer said he and another deputy drove to Detwiler's home. Deputy Anette Sprecher stayed at Detwiler's home while Boyer began looking for the escapee.

Boyer said he found Detwiler in a garage in nearby Matthews Alley, where he and a passer-by helped tackle the man. Sheriff's deputies and Hagerstown City Police cars swarmed the alley for a few minutes as well.

The chase livened up the street, Thompson said. Usually, "it is boring in Hagerstown," she said.

"It was exciting for a minute, seeing all those cops right there," Gilroy said.

During his hearing Tuesday night, Detwiler apologized to District Court Commissioner Craig Clevenger.

"This child-support thing came and I panicked," Detwiler said. "I didn't want to cause all these problems."

This is the second attempted escape from deputies this month at local courts.

Kristie Dawn Lockard, 23, of 1029 Spruce St., was charged with one count of first-degree escape after deputies alleged she tried to run from them on July 3 after a Circuit Court hearing. She is being held on $15,000 bond at the detention center.

The Herald-Mail Articles