Advertisement

Fountain has roots in France

July 17, 2003

A 26-foot fountain, pictured on the cover and photographed by Staff Photographer Ric Dugan, stands at the intersection of Main Street and Lincoln Way in downtown Chambersburg, Pa.

The fountain and soldier statue were installed in 1878, a memorial to the more than 5,000 Franklin County residents who fought in the Civil War, according to a brochure of Franklin County Heritage Inc., an area historic preservation organization.

The fountain was a prize-winning part of the French exhibit at the centennial celebration of America's independence in Philadelphia. It was purchased for the grand sum of $700.

For perspective, the fountain's 1993 restoration and repairs in 1998, due to damage from cars crashing through its barriers a few years earlier, cost approximately $149,000.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|