The IDEA Health & Fitness Association suggests asking these questions when interviewing potential personal trainers:
- What is your exercise and educational background? Are you certified by a nationally recognized organization?
- What is your level of training experience? How do you keep current on the latest training techniques, research and trends?
- Are you certified in CPR and first aid?
- Do you require a health screening or release from my doctor?
- Can you provide references from other clients and industry professionals familiar with your knowledge and abilities?
- Will you keep track of workouts, chart progress, and update my medical history periodically?
- Do you provide written policies on cancellations and billing?
- What is your rate per session? Do you offer any discounts or package deals?
- What hours are you available to train?
- Will you help me focus on reasonable goals, not unattainable results?
- What is your communication style with your clients?
The organization recommends interviewing at least three trainers before making a decision.