Advertisement

Man injured in ladder fall

July 10, 2003|by BRIAN SHAPPELL

shappell@herald-mail.com

A Baker Installations employee was rushed to Washington County Hospital Wednesday after falling nearly 15 feet from a ladder.

Emergency services personnel originally believed the man had been electrocuted.

A Washington County emergency services dispatcher said crews were sent out at 4:34 p.m. Wednesday to the 10400 block of Sharpsburg Pike for what was believed to be an electrocution at a residence.

Rescuers found that the man had fallen from a ladder while trying to repair a cable connection at the location, according to the dispatcher. No electrical shock was involved, the dispatcher said.

The injured man was identified as Bruce Baker by Baker Installation Field Supervisor Brian Hartman

Terry Curtis, who lives at the residence where Baker was making, said he saw Baker clutching at the sliding, crooked ladder as he was walking north on Sharpsburg Pike.

Advertisement

"I was coming down the street and I heard him screaming and saw him fall," Curtis said.

Curtis said Baker hit the ground back first and was incoherent for several minutes.

"He was talking when they took him away, though," he said.

The ambulance left the scene just before 5 p.m.

A Halfway Volunteer Fire Co. ambulance took Baker to the hospital, according to the dispatcher. The dispatcher said Baker was conscious and speaking in the ambulance. Members of the responding crew could not be reached for comment Wednesday evening.

A Washington County Hospital spokeswoman said Baker still was being treated in the emergency room late Wednesday. His condition was not available.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|