(Preparation 1 hour)
- 4 medium zucchini and-or summer squash (2 pounds), halved lengthwise and then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound farfalle pasta
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1/2 cup packed chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
Toss the zucchini and-or squash with 1 tablespoon kosher salt in a medium bowl. Transfer to a large colander and set over the bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes to drain.
Spread the squash evenly over a double layer of paper towels. Pat squash dry with additional paper towels and wipe off any residual salt.
In a large stockpot, bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Add 2 tablespoons kosher salt (or 1 tablespoon table salt) and pasta. Cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and return to the stockpot.