Police seek three people in shooting

June 26, 2003|by GREGORY T. SIMMONS

Hagerstown City Police still were searching Wednesday night for three people believed involved in a shooting that sent two people to the hospital a night earlier.

Kelvin Lashawn Baker, 24, of the 300 block of Jonathan Street and Melissa Lynn Emilcar, 29, of the 800 block of West Washington Street, were wounded in the shooting at 9:27 p.m. Tuesday, police said.

Baker was admitted to Washington County Hospital with a lung injury, police said. He was listed in fair condition Wednesday night.


Emilcar, who was shot in the leg, was treated at Washington County Hospital and released, police said.

Police said they believe the three people for whom they were searching Wednesday encountered Emilcar and Baker. One of the men pulled a gun and began shooting at Baker, and one of the bullets hit Emilcar, police said they believed.

Police returned to the site of the shooting in the area of 127 E. Franklin St. early Wednesday, looking for two men and a teenager, Hagerstown City Police's chief investigator said.

"We're interviewing potential witnesses, following up any leads that may have come in overnight. ... We're going to canvass the area both for any evidence or potential witnesses in the area," Lt. Rick Johnson said.

Police said Tuesday night they believed an argument broke out over a relationship, but Johnson said Wednesday it was too early to determine a motive for the shooting.

Johnson said police interviewed witnesses until about 3 a.m. Wednesday and took a couple of hours to rest.

Police had a working description of the suspects, but no arrests had been made as of Wednesday night.

Police described the three people they believed were involved in the shooting:

  • A black man, about 24 years old and 5 feet, 9 inches tall. He was wearing a "do-rag," a white T-shirt and jeans.

  • A black man who was wearing a cream-colored, button-down shirt with a black T-shirt underneath.

  • A black youth, about 13 or 14 years old; 5 feet, 4 inches tall and weighing about 125 pounds.

The police department's entire investigative staff was working on the case, as well as patrol officers who were helping to search for evidence and witnesses.

The Rev. Stephen Robison at Otterbein United Methodist Church, which is in the heart of the neighborhood where the shooting occurred, said he changed his sermon because of the incident.

His Sunday sermon is now called, "It's Never Too Late for Jesus."

Robison called the shooting tragic, but said the neighborhood is not all bad.

"My fear is that folks listening to reports will think it's bad. I know there are some good people who live in that area," Robison said. "We're still committed to the area."

The church has been trying to reach out to people in the neighborhood and make it a better place to live, he said.

Police asked that anyone with information about the shooting call detectives Shane Blankenship or Tammy Miller at police headquarters at 301-790-3700.

Staff writer Laura Ernde contributed to this story.

The Herald-Mail Articles